Saturday, September 4, 2010

Highrise Hawk

As many of you already know, our huge staff here at Toronto Wildlife laughs at danger, and we spare absolutely no expense of time or effort to obtain the very best urban wildlife images. To that end, last night, right after dinner, I walked out onto my own balcony. And from just a few feet away this hawk was staring back at me.

Thinking of you dear reader I went all the way back inside and got my camera. When I came back out the hawk hadn't budged and was still staring at me. He seems a little freaked out, likely because he's not used to seeing relatively large (but still fashionably slim) mammals just a few yards away when he's 130 feet high.

And from up high he checked out the area. First he looked down.

Then he looked to his right.

Then he looked over his shoulder.

Then he looked to his left.

Then he kind of...well, I'm not sure what direction this is, but he saw something interesting.

Then he (or she) took off with one more concerned look in my direction. As you can see from the darker lighting, this was almost exactly at the moment the sun went down which might not be a coincidence.

This hawk was fast. And here's a tip, sometimes you can be too close to what you're photographing, because at the speed this hawk flew off there was no way to physically pan quickly enough to get even one real flight shot. I got this one and then just empty sky.

After a good deal of hemming and hawing I've decided that this is probably a Sharp-shinned hawk, however you should definitely read about the Broad-winged hawk before you take my word for it.

UPDATE: July, 2012. The last paragraph above seems awfully prophetic now. This is actually a Merlin. Oops.